Remediating the Coronavirus (COVID-19) in your Office
by Compass Cleaning Solutions • February 27, 2020
At Compass Cleaning Solutions, we value our relationships with our customers. More and more, we are hearing about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and we wanted to provide as much information as possible on how you can prevent the spread of the disease and what cleaning agents we use to combat it.
What is Coronavirus?According to the CDC, they are responding to an outbreak of respiratory disease caused by a novel (new) Coronavirus that was first detected in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China, and which has now been detected in 37 locations internationally, including cases in the United States. The virus has been named "SARS-CoV-2," and the disease it causes has been named "coronavirus disease 2019" (abbreviated "COVID-19").
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses. Some cause illness in people, and others, such as canine and feline coronaviruses, only infect animals. Rarely, animal coronaviruses that infect animals have emerged to infect people and can spread between people. This is suspected to have occurred for the virus that causes COVID-19.
Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath, and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, the infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure, and even death.*
How does the Virus Spread?The virus is thought to spread from person to person.
- Between people who are in close contact with one another (shaking hands, hugging, etc.)
- Via respiratory droplets from an infected person who coughs or sneezes
- Respiratory droplets from coughing or sneezing that land in the mouths or noses of people who are nearby or possibly inhaled into the lungs
- Contacting a contaminated surface and then rubbing your eyes, nose or mouth
How can I protect myself & my employees from the Coronavirus?There are currently no vaccines to prevent coronavirus disease in 2019 (COVID-19). Using everyday prevention actions in your office can help prevent the spread of the disease.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Stay home when you are sick
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth
- Cover your cough and sneeze with a tissue, discarding the tissue immediately in the trash
- It goes without saying, but when possible, avoid close contact with people who are sick}
- Wash your hands with soap and water frequently for at least 20 seconds. Cleaning your hands should be done after going to the restroom, before eating, after blowing your nose, sneezing or coughing
High-Risk areas for Bacteria Accumulation in the OfficeOffices are full of germs, and some of them may lurk in places that you might not expect.
- An office desk may be up to 400 times more contaminated with infectious germs than a restroom toilet seat.
- When was the last time you cleaned your Smartphone? With all of that touching, your phone is a breeding ground for bacteria. Many phones can be kept clean by wiping them down with rubbing alcohol; however, check the manufacturer's instructions before doing so.
- Restrooms pretty much go without saying. According to a study by Life's Little Mysteries, "Within an hour of normal use, there were 500,000 bacterial cells per square inch on the bathroom surfaces, on average."
A seemingly clean workplace can still be a harbinger of hidden dust, dirt, and germs. An unsanitary workplace affects your employees and customers.
Positive effects from a Clean Office:
- Removing dust, dirt, and germs means your employees will get sick less often, and individuals with allergies will have to contend with fewer allergens
- An immaculate office appearance creates an image of professionalism and attention to detail, suggesting to customers that your business offers real value and doesn't cut corners
- A clean, fresh environment will boost your employee's mood which will lead to higher productivity
Playing it SafeCleaning and then disinfecting environmental surfaces in your home and office are fundamental in reducing the spread of the virus.
Having a janitorial service come in and clean your office is the first step to reduce the spread of the virus, and standard practices such as hand washing and having your employees stay home when they are sick are essential.
Compass Cleaning Solutions has made a conscious effort over the years to seek out and use the most effective cleaning products while still maintaining green cleaning practices. With that being said, our team cleans with a powerful yet safe cleaning agent known as Chlorine Dioxide.
Chlorine dioxide (CI02) is a cleaning product for odors and germs. Unlike traditional disinfectants that kill bacteria from the inside out in 7-10 minutes, chlorine dioxide works from the outside in, in 30-90 seconds. Chlorine dioxide...
Here's a video on the Chlorine Dioxide Disinfection Process
To learn more about the effectiveness of using chlorine dioxide to combat the Coronavirus, contact the professional commercial cleaners at Compass Cleaning Solutions or call (602) 691 6256 or toll-free at (877) 221-1213!